He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction. Taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home. The chronicles of Logan.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New Advice Column

My associates at BCLP&A (see my Wikipedia page to learn more about them) thought it would be a good idea if I started answering questions from MMA fans. Since I spent more time on this first response than I usually do on my blogs, I thought I'd post it here as well:

Dear Pink Pounder:

I've recently found myself in situations where the topic of MMA somehow comes up, but the environment is certainly one in which violence and things of such nature are frowned upon. Please help me describe the great sport of MMA properly and in a way that sheds it in the best possible light and does not leave me looking like some sort of brute or woman beater.

Signed,

Anonymmaous

Dear Anonymmaous,

This is a problem that I frequently encounter when discussing my current activities with individuals from my university as well as others that I encounter when I am working in the schools.

Most often I work to emphasize the commonalities between MMA and other, more acceptable, sports. There are numerous misconceptions about the sport that continue to hold strong in our society despite the growing popularity of the sport. Just as football or baseball have rules that can essentially go unstated because the common fan has fully accepted them, it is important to note that these competitions in MMA are not simply free-for-alls with no rules. This is one reason why I would like to see the term No-Holds-Barred pass away into obscurity. When the public understands that this is an organized sport with rules, regulations, and leagues, they begin to see it more completely. A large part of the battle is simply creating an understanding with the common person.

Additionally, many people don’t understand that the level of dedication of athletes to this activity easily matches the dedication of other professional athletes. When I first explain to people how much time I actually devote to this sport, they are generally astounded. I also try to emphasize the history of the sport and discuss how legitimate athletes (Olympic medalists, college All-Americans) have been using MMA to extend their athletic careers. Most people see this as a fringe sport, but when we look at the sport as having a colorful and distinguished history, they develop a much greater respect for it as a whole.

But beyond positive speech, the best way to shed a positive light on the sport is to be a respectable representative of the sport. By being a good role model (who just happens to be involved in MMA) a person can create a greater change in the public image of the sport than any amount of speech possibly could. In the last year, my fighting image has gone from people talking about the sport as “barbaric and idiotic” to being talked about openly in my mother’s church. This includes prayer requests for my safety and praises for my victories as well as numerous handshakes and congratulations. Most surprisingly, the women’s group at that same church, which consists primarily of ladies over the age of 60, now includes the watching of my fights as a part of their regular activities.

So simply be a good person and speaking intelligently without attacking your audience for their ignorance, and you will find that the sport can and will be readily accepted by most any group.


Peace.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to go to your mother's church.

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Scotteth too hotteth said...

don't forget the fact that that same women's group hosts monthly KY wrestling fundraisers.

11:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My final paper about Oscar Wilde is going to be about flowers.


I thought you'd appreciate that.

10:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything with flowers is dandy by me. And anything is dandy by Oscar.

Logan
(I'm too lazy to log in)

11:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when it reaches a year that you have not posted, you should probably delete this shit.

8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bloopy blooop blooop bloop. logan never checks or writes in his blog, hahaha. bloop bloop bloop.

a poem.
to
U

1:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home