He's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction. Taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home. The chronicles of Logan.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Save the Minnesotan Farmers

Alright folks, this could get me flagged as a threat to the U.S. , but, this is the new theory, it is time to bring down the Hoover Dam. By one means or another, the resevoir should disapear. The people of the Southwest do not need it to drink, but those sorry SOB farmers of California seem to be using a good bit of it. Where did these a-holes get the idea that they should be farming the desert?
The desert is decent for cities and tourist attractions and sometimes for old people, but not farming. It simply isn't efficient. But...through government subsidies and government payment for dams and things of that sort it became possible for large amounts of water to be saved up and then used for field irrigation. This is why we now have the biggest dairy producer in the country as California and oodles of family farms are failing across the real dairy belt.
Without the over production of goods by these mega-farms we would not need welfare for farmers (which actually help corporate farms more than family farms) to pay for their crops or to pay them not to plant a field.
Also, for those folks who are sick of those damn immigrants, this will help your bigoted ass as well. You see, if these farms aren't around, there isn't work for the immigrants who can't get real jobs that aren't paid in cash and for which you have to be a citizen. (I see flaws.)
So the only option is the removal of most of the dams in the western United States which have already caused large amounts of ecological damage. Although, if this global warming thing turns out to be real, we might need this water. You decide.

By the way, this argument was created in my environmental geology class and came purely from my head and ass. I don't currently have any facts to back it up, but it makes sense in my mind and follows the rules of common sense. Plus, if I hadn't just given you that warning, you would have totally believed me that it was a good idea. It just makes that much sense.

Also I will include a couple of links that talk about the environmental problems created by these beasts. This is just an add on (although probably more important) to the problems created for farmers around the country.
Page from some dirty hippies.
Problems of dams in general.
More Environmental impact.
My next task is to find out if I am right about where the water from these resevoirs is going. I remember being told something along the lines of what I am claiming once. This may be a bit trickier to find than the other stuff.
(Updated: 11:02 pm Feb. 3, 2005)

Well, here is something. This has to do with Lake Powell, the second largest resevoir in the U.S. behind Lake Mead which is created by the Hoover Dam.
Anyway, from the article: "85% of the water goes to agricultural production, and a relatively small amount is used in urban areas."
The bastards, soon I will have the info. for Lake Mead.
(Updated: 11:11 pm Feb. 3, 2005)

Alright, I guess it isn't the Californians to blame for the Hoover Dam, that is the Nevadans and Arizonians. A lot of the California water actually comes from Lake Oroville and from the groundwater. But it is still misused I say. I will look around and find up what problems have arisen from this one, but first I should finish up with the Colorado River dam system.
(Updated: 11:29 pm Feb. 3, 2005)

This is my last update on this page and when I have fully formulated my arguments I will create a new post anyway. Lake Mead is responsible for the water for the Las Vegas area (90% of it in fact), but for some reason, Lake Mead is half full, but still is larger than necessary. I mean, what the hell is Lake Tahoe doing next to Reno, just sitting there? The Hoover Dam is excessive and simply allows Americans to practice extremely wasteful water use techniques while causing irreversable damage. Well, actually, a lot of it is reversable. Get rid of it, it is just a terrorist attack waiting to happen. We have dammed up our rivers excessively and now we are starting to see some of the effects. In the Midwest people are actually working to help fish move up and down the rivers and helping to keep the environmental impact to a minimum. I will be back with more at some later date.
(Updated: 11:42 pm Feb. 3, 2005)

Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Logan Clark said...

Many many peoples care about the damn dam and, yes, you are selfish. I try to look at the larger issues. Hehe. I love being high and mighty.
I will add a couple of links to the Hoover Dam post that may help you learn about it. And, actually, it is not the Hoover Dam only that I am against it is a great series of dams, it is simply that the Hoover Dam is the only one that will ring a bell with you folks.
I will probably right a little more about this later.

8:38 PM

 
Blogger Logan Clark said...

And, don't worry Ann, I do know what I am talking about. I simply know things before I know I know them and then I learn about them even more thoroughly afterwards.
I am currently debating the benefits of the hydroelectric power created with the ecological damage and potential for catastrophe that come with these dams.

8:40 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the ultimate point you are getting at is connection with the land and your food. Until someone has actually killed their food or turned the land, they do not fully understand how they are connected. I cannot claim to fully understand.

Wendell Berry (http://www.english.eku.edu/SERVICES/KYLIT/BERRY.HTM) talks about this. I think you will like him.

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Logan Clark said...

Gracias, I will look into him.

I agree with the statement regarding the actual working of the land and I believe that many people don't realize what actually goes into the things that they consume or the damage that we do.
There is a larger purpose to my various rants and posts, but I have realized that I can not get through to people with sweeping generalities. So, instead, I am choosing to focus on small pieces to the puzzles. At times I have difficulty keeping myself from branching out too far. I think even the damming of the Colorado River is too large an area to think about. That is why I tried to relate it back to the effect that it could have on minnesotan farmers.

9:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home